Basmati rice, a long grain rice with a nutty flavor and a distinctive fragrance that makes it extraordinary from other rice varieties. Basmati rice become more fluffy after cooking than the typical white rice.
Turmeric basmati rice is a savory rice recipe, a combination of potato and spices. There are two main part of this recipe: soaking the rice first and make a turmeric curry for the rice.
The first part is the most crucial one that makes this recipe perfect. Basmati rice should be soaked for at-least 10-30 mins before cooking to make it lighter and tender. This step removes all the starch from the rice that helps to digest properly.
Adding turmeric in curry, is a next step which gives a bright yellow color to the rice and make it more tasteful. I really like this spicy potato, rice with yogurt sauce or Raita and you guys should definitely try this recipe.
- Yield: 4-5 serving
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Total time: 45 mins
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3-4 medium potatoes (cubed)
- 3-4 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Ginger paste
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander powder
- 1 tsp. Red pepper powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 cups basmati rice (soaked and washed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large pan, add cumin, coriander and mustard seeds (if using), saute for 5 mins.
- Then add onion and pan fry until start turning golden brown.
- Add ginger, and garlic paste, then add potatoes, yogurt, tomatoes, spices, and water, mix it well and let it cook for about 15-20 mins.
- Now add rice, stock, and water, then wait until starts boiling and a cup of liquid is left, cover it with a lid and simmer for 10 mins.
- Serve warm with yogurt or Raita.
Did you try it? Let me know in the comments below and share it with your family and friends #fitmomcooking